Subject: Re: HELP ON 1.3 BOOT
To: T. Sean <71410.25@compuserve.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/1997 18:20:09
> Sorry if this is somewhat late.  I am about a hundred messages behind
> (literally).
>
> Isn't this more a question of audience?  How many of NetBSD's initial
> users, that is, users who have just started using NetBSD, are experienced
> Unix administrators?  I would imagine not many.  I know I'm not (as my
> questions here have shown).  Shouldn't the initial setup be geared toward
> the somewhat novice user, making the assumption that a *free* Uni*x would
> attract people who really want to learn what Unix is, but are not ready
> to shell out what it costs for a SCO or BSD?  Experienced Un*x users
> could still use NetBSD, but would by virtue of their experience be
> knowledgeable of the security concerns. Isn't it reasonable to assume
> that many NetBSD users are first time Un*x users?  Particularly since in
> the case of NetBSD/mac68k they are probably coming from an OS that is
> only extremely remotely related to Un*x?  I would also suggest that any
> experienced Un*x user/administrator coming to NetBSD who did not consider
> the security aspects and configure his system accordingly deserves what
> he gets.

I think one of the problems is that the mac68k port isn't using the new
sysinst utility. I'm not complaining, seeing as I don't have time to get
it working for us :-) , but a lot of other ports have a different method
of installing, and on them you don't just boot to the system bare-bones.

Idealy we would use it, but I don't have time to work on it now, and I
think Scott and Allen are busy too.

Oh, this utility is NEW. As in, it's only really started working AFTER the
1.3 freeze.

The idea would be that you put the tar files somewhere, and then boot
a miniroot. sysinst, residing on the miniroot, would then walk you
through setting things up, and, among other things, say that rc.conf
has been configured.

Take care,

Bill