Subject: Re: Problems with X11...
To: Thomas Bjorn Andersen <bjorn@daimi.aau.dk>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/1997 17:09:30
At 10:33 PM 11/21/97, Thomas Bjorn Andersen wrote:
>Don't do that.  That resets the PATH variable to *only* include
>/usr/X11R6/bin meaning that you can no longer do eg. ls, as ls is in
>/usr/bin or /bin.  Instead, do something like
>setenv PATH ${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin
>assuming you're using [t]csh as your shell.

This is strictly a nit, so please don't take offense.  The advice you give
is right on; the example is slightly off.

csh (and tcsh I presume) implement a bunch of frequently-used commands like
ls, rm, cd, etc. directly for improved performance.  Once in a while this
can cause confusion since the built-in version may not always have the same
default behavior as the versions in /bin (or /usr/bin, whatever).