Subject: Re: Problems with X11...
To: cruller@unicom.net, BW <f94bw@efd.lth.se>
From: Thomas Bjorn Andersen <bjorn@daimi.aau.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/1997 22:33:11
At 15:18 +0100 21/11/97, cruller@unicom.net wrote:
>snip
>
>> I read that someone just used the installer to install the new
>> X-binaries, booted and typed startx, and X11 started. Why can't I do
>> this? Should I use another installer?
>>
>> What editor should I use in order to configure the configuration files?
>> Not that I think there is a special editor for this purpose, I mean,
>> which one is the most preferable use?

This is where I say emacs/emacsclient and some people scream vi and some
people yell pico and some people.....

>I feel your pain!!!  I was brand spanking new to not only NetBSD, but
>also unix.  I was so lost... until someone told me about the wonders of
>the PATH variable.  Coming from a strick Mac diet I had now idea you had
>to tell the shell where to find applications!  Do this..(someone correct
>me if I'm wrong)
>
>at the $ prompt (or # if you are logged in as root) type:
>
>setenv PATH /usr/X11R6/bin

Don't do that.  That resets the PATH variable to *only* include
/usr/X11R6/bin meaning that you can no longer do eg. ls, as ls is in
/usr/bin or /bin.  Instead, do something like
setenv PATH ${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin
assuming you're using [t]csh as your shell.

Of course the other advice still applies :-)

Best wishes,
Thomas

--
Thomas Bjorn Andersen - bjorn@daimi.aau.dk
Monday is a horrible way to spend one seventh of your life