Subject: Re: Problems with X11...
To: BW <f94bw@efd.lth.se>
From: None <cruller@unicom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/1997 14:18:14
snip

> I read that someone just used the installer to install the new
> X-binaries, booted and typed startx, and X11 started. Why can't I do
> this? Should I use another installer?
>
> What editor should I use in order to configure the configuration files?
> Not that I think there is a special editor for this purpose, I mean,
> which one is the most preferable use?

snip

I feel your pain!!!  I was brand spanking new to not only NetBSD, but
also unix.  I was so lost... until someone told me about the wonders of
the PATH variable.  Coming from a strick Mac diet I had now idea you had
to tell the shell where to find applications!  Do this..(someone correct
me if I'm wrong)

at the $ prompt (or # if you are logged in as root) type:

setenv PATH /usr/X11R6/bin

This will tell the shell where to look for the startx script (and all
other apps & scripts as well).

Then at the $ 0r # prompt type: startx

Make sure you follow the directions givin by collin to configure the
/etc/ld.so.conf file.

type: vi /etc/ld.so.conf

vi is tricky for beginers unless you have a list of comands in front of
you.  I bought 'UNIX for dummies' desk reference for $12 which has easy
to understand directions for using some of the more popular
applications.  Once you get done with that you should buy a better
book.  There is a list of recommended books on - yep you guessed it -
the FAQ.

Good luck, cruller