Subject: Re: Return of Madhatter
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/1997 16:39:10
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Michael R Zucca wrote:

> > As usual, when compiling a kernel from some new sources (today's) I had to
> > apply the madhatter patch to get X to work at resolutions above 640x480
> > (832x624 in this case). Is this ever going to be fixed?
>
> It should get fixed when my intvid code gets done.
>
> That's for Quadra AV's, right? Perhaps that's why I can't get the X
> server to go on the Quadras. I'm testing on machines with 16" monitors.
> Is the error you get from X "Can't map screen!" or something?

I'm successfully using a 1.3ALPHA kernel with the Xfree86-based X-stuff
(the new one) on a Quadra 840AV in 1152*870*1bit mode without any
madhatter patches. I'm on a Radius Intellicolor 20 monitor. Everthing
worked str8 outta the box.

---------------------
On a slightly similar note (X) I'm trying to use some binaries from the
Amiga archive that are X-related. Some of them come out with an ld.so-type
error. One says "Cannot map ld.so" & the others are the
/usr/libexec/ld.so: libXpm.so.4.6: No such file or directory variety(with
varying actual files). I know that the X troubleshooting part of the FAQ
dealt with this, & I had added the line to my rc.local file for getting X
to work fine. Unfortunately, the file that it needs actually doesn't
exist, so it's not just updating the ld.so hash table. I periodically do
"ls -lR > dirtree.txt"
from / to make it easier to find files & a grep of this proved fruitless.
(btw, does a reliable find utility exist?)
Any ideas why this is happening & what I can do to help it?

TIA
Mike