Subject: Re: Problems with X11...
To: None <f94bw@efd.lth.se>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/1997 10:20:24
BW wrote:

> I have been writing to this FAQ a few times before. Problems relating to
> getting NetBSD to boot and run has been solved. However, no one has been
> able to help me getting X11 to run. I have got answers to some of my
> questions, most answers ending with "look in the FAQ". Well, thats the
> first thing to do, and I have done it. Although, their seems to be no
> answers to my X-problems. Lets just suppose, for a minute, the FAQ is
> INCOMPLETE. What about that?

Sure, quite possible.  Even likely :-)  The FAQ can't cover a question
until it has been asked (and I generally let it get asked a couple of
times just to make sure it really is a Frequently Asked Question).

> If you know how to configure X11, maybe
> then you understand all the connections between various topics in the
> FAQ. I have tried to get things work according to the FAQ, progress has
> been made, but also new problems has arised, not answered in the FAQ.
> One question that has not been asked is:
>
> What files (all of them) do I need to configure to get X11 running?

None.

Well, that's almost true....I should probably look at startx in the latest
X distribution before actually saying "none".  Ok, I've looked at the
latest X setup files, and I suppose there is 1 file which truly needs to
be configured before running X11.  This one is in the FAQ, but the file in
question is /etc/ld.so.conf.  It needs to contain merely:

/usr/X11R6/lib

This will allow ld.so.hints to be built by ldconfig with the location of
the X11 libraries, thus preventing the typical "libBlah.so not found!"
error.

Other than that, the startx script should call xinit with the proper
xinitrc file (the system default in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc).
I'm sure you might want to customize this file, but it doesn't need any
modifications to simply run X.

> This question should be added to the FAQ!

Try the latest X distribution and let us know whether or not starts X
correctly.  You should get the typical grayish screen with the X cursor in
the middle, followed by a clock, a couple of xterms, and finally the
window manager showing up.  If this doesn't work, we'll first have to find
the answer to the problem, and then it can be put in the FAQ.

> I read that someone just used the installer to install the new
> X-binaries, booted and typed startx, and X11 started. Why can't I do
> this? Should I use another installer?

I don't know.  What Installer are you using now?  I've installed from both
MacOS and within NetBSD, and both work fine.

> What editor should I use in order to configure the configuration files?
> Not that I think there is a special editor for this purpose, I mean,
> which one is the most preferable use?

Personally, I use vi for this kind of thing because it is simple, fast,
and distributed with the system.  _Any_ un*x text editor should work.  If
you wanted, you could even copy the files out and edit them in BBEdit,
save them as un*x text files, copy them back in, and use them.  Since this
is a lot of trouble, I'd just go with vi, tho.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if it doesn't.  Also, please
provide a more complete description of what you have tried already, and
where exactly you perceive a problem has occurred.

Later.