Subject: Re: Why do some X clients take so long to start up?
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/1997 10:00:07
ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am running monocrome X on my PB160 (Takashi's kernel from March) with a
> 1.2.1 distribution and X11R6.1.  The system has 12 meg of RAM.  Some X clients
> like editres and many others start up in a reasonable amount of time.  Others
> like Chimera take literally about 25 minutes to start.  They are not that
> different in size, and no swapping takes place, so I don't think it's a
> memory problem.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this might be?
>
> Thanks for any ideas, I'd love to fix this.

You don't have an FPU do you?  This might be part of the reason why.  The
other might be some kind of font thing.  Programs that use a lot of fonts
tend to load the machine heavily and slow things down quite a bit (Mosaic
does this).

As for how to fix this....well, I'm not sure there is a fix other than
upgrading to a faster machine. :-(

Later.