Subject: Re: Video/Memory Mapping for Powerbooks, et. al.
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/1997 07:34:10
At 10:59 PM 11/19/97 -0500, Michael R Zucca wrote:
>There's a little utility put out by the Linux/mac68k folks that runs
>under MacOS that shows the log->phys mapping with annotation.
>Quite a nice little program for what it does.
>
>We would have to round up info on all the machines we could support and
>somebody would have to go through the ancient memory mapping code and
>fix it correctly. That's probably quite a job. :-)

Well, I'll give it a try, although memory mapping is not
my strong suit (I'm far better at device drivers and such).
The last time I dealt with memory mapping was in ancient
days at Unisoft (remember them?) -- I used to know how
to set up the MMU that usually came with 680X0 systems
there; does the Mac use it's MMU in the standard Motorola
manner?  Or are there many Mac-specific things?

Also, would you suggest waiting until 1.3-final arrives?
I don't want to start working on something that's going
to change drastically under my feet.

- Tim Bessie
tbessie@eci.net

Tim Bessie