Subject: Re: (OFF-TOPIC) hardware SCSI termination?
To: Howard S Shubs <hshubs@montagar.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/1997 02:51:03
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Howard S Shubs wrote:

> >On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> >> If you want something really cheap, you can wrap up the jumper posts
> >> with thin copper wires.  Try not to short circuit nearby circuits.
> >>
> >> Real jumpers (those square plastic things with a pressed metal sheet
> >> embedded), I have no idea where to get, but I would imagine mail-order
> >> electronics places like JDR might carry them.
> >>
> >> Ken
> >
> >Its a terminating *resistor*, not a jumper, that he needs.  They have
> >about 8-10 prongs, and go in one way (typically indicated by a white dot
> >on one end of one side which lines up with an arrow on the hard drive PCB
> >board).
> >
> >I don't know where to get them, perhaps Radio Shack?  And though I've
> >never been to one, a Fry's Electronics should have it, if anyplace.
>
> He'd be better off with a normal passive terminator, which he can get in
> any computer store, even Radio Shack I suspect.  Or he can contact APS and
> they'll sell him an external version of what was in his case (active
> terminator).  Passive terminators are not expensive, and they're a heck of
> a lot easier to work with than termination resistors.
>
> When I see termination resistors on a drive I own, I pull 'em.  No remorse
> involved, and no second thoughts.  If y'all -really- want the things, I can
> probably turn a few up.

	Well... the thing is, I cannot boot the computer without something
on the external SCSI port supplying termination. The system does not
recognize the drive and I get the disk-question mark icon. I attach a SCSI
cable to the external SCSI port and still it won't recognize it. I attach
that bad APS case (with the DATerm) and the machine boots fine, except it
takes a few extra seconds for the happy mac to come up ;-) I've not
noticed any more slowness than usual tho... then again, I've gotten used
to using my Q630 with it's '040... and the IIsi's '030 is sooo much slower
ffeeling now ;-) If ya wanna mail me some resistors go ahead ;-) Otherwise
I'm just gonna either keep using the case til I get some, or something...
the only downside I've seen so far from just having the case supply the
termination is that I have an extra few seconds before the machine
reboots... *shrug*

	- Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!