Subject: Re: Help:)
To: None <ARBONZ@aol.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/1997 21:12:35
ARBONZ@aol.com wrote:

> Hey guys...
> I downloaded the binaries for NetBSD 121 for my Mac via FTP.
> I apartitioned my 230mb HD into 4 partitions:
>
> 1 Mac HFS
> 1 A/UX Root
> 1 A/UX Swap
> 1 A/UX Usr
>
> I then successfully used Mkfs to make file systems on both the Root & Usr
> partitions.  I then used the Installer to install the required files for my
> MacBSD

sounds good so far....

> system to work.  After successfully doing this I went to boot it and got a
> message during the botting process.  The screen switched to a white on black
> unix-like interface.

btw, this is a pretty good indication that you did not boot in 1-bit (i.e
black and white) mode.  you should do this or you might run into problems
later.

>  It began to map out the memory, and shortly after it
> began the kernal stack I got a message :
>
> panic: kernal jump to 0
>
> I then got a prompt like db> , but it did not take any input from my
> keyboard.
> I looked on your site in the bug reports for things related to this message
> but was unable to find anything.

that's normal for this kernel...see more below

> I run a Mac Quadra 610.  It has 20mb of RAM, 230mb HD, Apple 600i CD ROM, OS
> 8.0, an Apple Extended Keyboard, and an Iomega Zip atttached to it.  I looked
> on the sheet for machine compatibility and it was on there???

i think you must've looked at the wrong sheet.  the current machine-status
document is for netbsd-current (which is more or less netbsd 1.3_alpha at
the moment).  if you look at the netbsd/mac68k 1.2 page, you'll note that
the '040-based macs are _not_ supported by 1.2 (or 1.2.1).

> I have repeated this process twice-- getting the message both times.
> It weas very long and sucked.  If you could please give me some advice,
> or if I am missing something please let me know.
>
> I am VERY interested in getting this thing running, and I am impressed with
> the work that you guys have done-- when I get this thing going, I would like
> to help you.
>
> Look forward to your response...

please download the stuff from

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3_ALPHA/mac68k/

instead of the 1.2.1 stuff.  don't worry, you'll only have to reinstall
once more :-)

the 1.3_alpha kernel (GENERIC#48?) should boot your machine just fine.
let us know if you have any problems with it.

i hope this helps some.

later.