Subject: Re: Suggestion on fixing old drive...
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/1997 18:15:19
> I have an old drive (my old 1.1_ALPHA drive, Quantum Maverick 540S ;-)
> that started having problems under MacOS, a few months after it began to
> have stiction problems.  Anyway, Quantum refuses to cover it under
> warranty, since they go by the manufacture date, not when the drive was
> purchased several months later... (on a side note, I'm not going to be
> buying any drives from them for a very, very, very long time...)

I think you should bitch very loudly, and sick a lawer on them. These drives
NEVER have that policy mentioned. Or, you could complain at the folks who
sold it to you, for not making the waranty clear (or letting you buy it with
a falks waranty idea).

> Anyway, I decided to try reformatting once again (it never appears to read
> or write anything when I try).  This time, though, the drive won't even
> spin up.  My thought is, since it's out of warranty and going to a junk
> pile soon anyway, why not at least try to get it working, maybe to run
> NetBSD for messing around on an old Classic II....
>
> Here's my question... what should I expect when I get the mechanism apart?
> Has anyone had one apart recently enough to know what to lubricate,
> adjust, whatever, on a drive that won't even spin up on its own, and maked
> clunking noises when spinning up before that (often taking a few hours to
> successfully get running)?

Do you have access to a clean room? The cleaner the better (like ones
where you need full bunny suits). If you get ANY dust into this thing,
it's really dead.

I'm not sure what needs lubricating, but it's probably the bearings. You'll
need some special lubricant (which is compatable with the lubricant on the
whole of the disk).

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill