Subject: Suggestion on fixing old drive...
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/1997 19:23:30
I have an old drive (my old 1.1_ALPHA drive, Quantum Maverick 540S ;-)
that started having problems under MacOS, a few months after it began to
have stiction problems.  Anyway, Quantum refuses to cover it under
warranty, since they go by the manufacture date, not when the drive was
purchased several months later... (on a side note, I'm not going to be
buying any drives from them for a very, very, very long time...)

Anyway, I decided to try reformatting once again (it never appears to read
or write anything when I try).  This time, though, the drive won't even
spin up.  My thought is, since it's out of warranty and going to a junk
pile soon anyway, why not at least try to get it working, maybe to run
NetBSD for messing around on an old Classic II....

Here's my question... what should I expect when I get the mechanism apart?
Has anyone had one apart recently enough to know what to lubricate,
adjust, whatever, on a drive that won't even spin up on its own, and maked
clunking noises when spinning up before that (often taking a few hours to
successfully get running)?

Thoughts?
David