Subject: Re: DeskWriter660C problem
To: York P. Block <yblock@ibm.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/1997 12:34:01

> Well, I got ghostscript3.0 from the Amiga ftp site. That was the only one
> that I could find. I installed it. However I am getting this in lpd-errs:
>
> Unexpected interpreter error -9.
> Error object:
> Aug 27 07:41:06 tweety lpd[76]: restarted
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: gs: libXt.so.6.0: No such file or directory
>
> any ideas?

Yes. The error message is telling you libXt.s0.6.0 is missing.

You have a version of Ghostscript compiled to support X windows, and you
don't have X on your system. libXt is a library in the X system. The .so.6.0
part says it's a shared library (not put in each program but shared across
the system), version 6.0.

To fix this, you need to either compile Ghostscript yourself, or you need
to get the shared library gs wants. Get the X distribution and install the
libraries (tar tzf filename.tar.gz will show you the contents of a tar file,
and then you can CD to the right place and tar xzf filename.tar.gz
path/to/libs/libXt.so.6.0 to install only the libXt library). You might have
to make some directories on the way. Then follow the FAQ for X and add
the ldconfig command you need to your rc.local file.

Note: I've been vague about how to install X. See the FAQ for more details.
But, you DON'T need anything other than one of the libraries from the
X setup to make this work. You do NOT need to be running an X server
(unless you tell gs to output to X :-)

Take care,

Bill