Subject: Re: NetBSD on PB150
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Oddie Jonathan <oddie@bvsd.k12.co.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1997 20:17:28
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Oddie  Jonathan wrote:
> >
> > I would really like to get some UN*X system running on a PowerBook 150,
> > but it says in the list of NetBSD supported machines that the PB150 will
> > boot NetBSD, but can only be accessed from an external terminal :-(
> >
> > My question is, what exactly is the problem? I thought it said it was with
> > the video, but I also saw somewhere else that it was with ADB. Would it be
> > a hard problem to fix? Because maybe I could have a go at it.
>
> I believe that ADB _should_ be working for this machine (if it's not right
> now, it will most likely be by the 1.3 release).
	OK, then I'll wait for that to come out before fiddling around
with it.
> However, internal video
> mapping is still going to be broken in all likelihood.  Because of this, I
> doubt the PB 1x0-series machines will boot off of their own consoles
> (actually, I doubt any of the PowerBooks will boot off of their own
> consoles on a -current kernel, if anyone has info to the contrary, please
> let me know asap!).
>
> I think the problem is with mapping of video memory at boot time, but
> Michael Zucca might be able to explain it better since he's the one who
> managed to get internal video working at one time.  I'm not sure how hard
> it would be to fix, tho.  I think that a hack to get it to boot might not
> be too hard, but the clean and "correct" solution might be a bit more
> difficult.  Good luck if you want to work on it, we're always looking for
> more volunteers!

	Another question: I'd have to work on it on another machine,
wouldn't I? Or is there a way to get the sources, compile them in
something like THINK C, and put them back into the NetBSD filesystem?
Maybe this is a dumb question.

	Thanks!

-Jonoddie