Subject: Re: Whats the deal?
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@bellatlantic.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1997 17:52:52

>     Huh?  Whats happening here?
>     Installed some packages.  Create a link in /usr/bin to the executable.
>
>     Try it; command not found!
>     Hmmm?  Oh well, scratchin' my noggin' we'll just try somethin' else
> here.
>
>     Another one.....sameo sameo....What gives?  Go to the dir where it
> lives,
>     ./blah_blah, it runs fine!  Hmmmm?
>
>     Later, after having gone back to MacOS, and then rebooting to NetBSD
>     it works!  Not just it, but they all work! (Pine, pico, lynx, etc)....
>
>     What didn't I do?  Anyone?  Worse than that, why did rebooting fix it?
> ?

Why are you installing software in /usr/bin? Software you add should go
in /usr/local/bin (or /usr/local/sbin or /usr/local/lib ...). /usr/bin
should only have programs shipped w/ the OS.

You need to add /usr/local/bin to your PATH in your .cshrc file.

To answer your question, you forgot to have your shell rescan for
programs.  Since adding a program is a rare occurance, the shell looks
at all the directories in your PATH, and remembers what's where. It then
doesn't look again. In csh (and tcsh), the "rehash" command will have
the shell re-examine all the directories in the PATH, and thus find your
new program.

>   Oh, I did this as root.  Yeah, I know....don't, but I haven't found
> adduser
>   yet, or gotten it off one of my Linux boxes.

It doesn't ship with the system since no one can agree on what it should
do.

man adduser will tell you about the changes you need to do to add a user
to the system.

Take care,

Bill