Subject: Re: MRG Disabling (and PB180)
To: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1997 13:39:51
Tim Bessie wrote:

> At 01:08 PM 11/18/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >
> >Hmmmm...are you sure that ADB is the problem?  I'm pretty sure that most
> >if not all of the PowerBooks should be supported by the HWDIRECT ADB code
> >that is now in the kernel (but not currently used by kernels being
> >distributed).  If someone were to compile such a kernel for you, it should
> >be able to handle the ADB.  However, I seem to remember that there are
> >some internal video mapping problems on all of the PowerBooks which hangs
> >the boot sequence...a serial console boot avoids this, thus allowing you
> >to boot.
> >
> >Do you see something different?
>
> I've heard a bit of both from several different people, and
> from perusing the port-mac68k archives.  I _do_ know that it hangs
> at the "Preserving X bytes..." message (or something like that --
> I'm not at home with my machine at the moment).

This is definitely the video mapping problem (since that's pretty much
part of what occurs next).  If it were an ADB problem, you'd hang much
later in the boot sequence (after the copyright message, during ADB
initialization).

> I think Michael Zucca said recently it was probably due to internal
> video mapping problems, which he'd like to fix "the right way", now
> that I think about it, rather than just hack it together.

Yes, he did.  Of course, figuring out the "right way" is the hard part :-)
There are actually a fair number of machines which will depend on this,
including all of the PowerBooks, the Classic Macs, and the Quadra 605, to
name a few.

> If that is indeed the problem, does anyone out there know
> what the problem is, specifically?  Michael, any new progress?

Michael or Scott would know far better than I....

Later.