Subject: Re: Help with setting up telnet...
To: Chris Jewell <jewellce@esvax.es.dupont.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1997 13:18:24
Chris Jewell wrote:

> I am using MacBSD on a IIci and it runs very well.  I cannot, however,
> telnet in from other machines.  I can get to the login and password prompts
> but, then I get a message saying that login is not allowed from that
> terminal.  Do I need to set up telnetd?  If so how do I do that?  I do have
> MacBSD running in multi-user mode so I know that is not the problem.

Who are you loggin in as??  There are two possible problems here, 1 is
that you're attempting to telnet in as "root".  This is not allowed on
"unsecure" terminals (and all pty's are "unsecure").  You can edit
/etc/ttys if you wish to change this (although I'd really recommend that
you don't).  If you are attempting to telnet in as root, you should
instead create an account for yourself and put yourself in group wheel.
Then telnet into your own account and su to root from there.

The second possibility is that you're using a shell which didn't ship with
NetBSD (like tcsh).  You need to put the path to all non-standard shells
you're using in /etc/shells.  Then it will allow you to log in.

I think the first possibility is the most likely, tho.  I guess there's a
third possibility, that you've created an /etc/nologin and forgotten to
remove it, but I don't think that's the case.

I hope this helps.

Later.