Subject: Re: Help with setting up telnet...
To: Chris Jewell <jewellce@esvax.es.dupont.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1997 12:35:02

> I am using MacBSD on a IIci and it runs very well.  I cannot, however,
> telnet in from other machines.  I can get to the login and password prompts
> but, then I get a message saying that login is not allowed from that
> terminal.  Do I need to set up telnetd?  If so how do I do that?  I do have
> MacBSD running in multi-user mode so I know that is not the problem.

Who are you trying to log in as? root? Of course it shouldn't let you in!

Try logging in as yourself (non-root account). Also make sure you set
up your account (using vipw) similar to the other accounts. NetBSD has
some extra fields in /etc/master.passwd (basically what you edit w/
vipw) which are different from other OS's. Just leaving them blank is
fine, though you need to do something about them as otherwise your name
might get into an account expiration field...

Take care,

Bill