Subject: MRG Disabling (and PB180)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1997 08:39:15
At 10:39 AM 11/18/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> The Mac ROM Glue stuff is disabled if you boot with serial console.  The
>> feeling was that you only needed MRG for the adb access.  You'll also note
>> that you get a strange time when you boot serial console, since we also
>> use mrg code to access the PRAM.
>
>Not quite.  The feeling was that if you have broken ADB support, you
>should still be able to boot with a serial console.  It at least used to
>be true that if your machine was unsupported, the ADB probe would wedge
>the boot.  Since ADB was the only thing that used MRG once-upon-a-time,
>it was sufficient to disable MRG.
>
>Since most systems seem to be working these days, it might make sense to
>remove that--or at least make it a kernel compilation-option.

Well, as usual, my PB180 still only boots serially, so I'd
hope you'd leave this stuff in.

Does anyone know what kind of information would need to be
had in order to make a PB180 work with the ADB code?  It seems
like the main problem is lack of address mapping or device
format -- is this true?

- Tim Bessie
tbessie@eci.net

Tim Bessie