Subject: Re: X11 on a Quadra 700, anyone?
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1997 06:06:13
The Mac ROM Glue stuff is disabled if you boot with serial console.  The
feeling was that you only needed MRG for the adb access.  You'll also note
that you get a strange time when you boot serial console, since we also
use mrg code to access the PRAM.

My SLOTMAN kernel makes a lot of new uses of  the mrg code, and I've
removed the code that checks for serial console.  I think we ought to
enable the nrg stuff all the time.

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Michael R Zucca wrote:

> > Got it clear now: The crash happens when I boot to serial console and xdm
> > tries to open the local display. I don't think this should cause a panic.
>
> I too found that booting from serial console renders the internal
> video useless on my IIvx. I don't think we get/deal with the screen
> base properly when you do a serial boot.
>
> > _erasecursor(864da4,d271a,0,3,6c00800) + c
> > _iteoff(0,3,6c00800,864db8,d24fa) + 4
> > _grfon(a00,190,a,864df4,4ae4a) + 1c
> > _grfopen(a00,3,2000,6be0200) + 50
> > _spec_open(864e18) + 13c
>
> See how the ite driver is trying to touch VRAM? It's probably trying
> to erasecursor over the trap vector tables :-)

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |