Subject: Re: (OFF-TOPIC) hardware SCSI termination?
To: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1997 02:53:10
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, #hea wrote:

> Nathan Raymond told Ken Nakata :
> >Its a terminating *resistor*, not a jumper, that he needs.  They have
> >about 8-10 prongs, and go in one way (typically indicated by a white dot
> >on one end of one side which lines up with an arrow on the hard drive PCB
> >board).
>
> Actually, it is a JUMPER that he needs.  Modern drives have terminator
> resistors built in with electronic switching.  They do not remove the
> termination resistors.  They simply use a jumper to determine whether or
> not to switch in the on board resistors.

	Actually... the Micropolis webpage says 'terminators'... I'm
pretty sure. If you're curious check out:
http://www.micropolis.com/A2217_C.html which is the page I got my info
from... there's a jpeg image of the places that can be configured by the
user with resistors and jumpers. RN1, which is one of the termination
interfaces looks like it has about 8 little slots, and it looks like RN2
is similar if not identical. I don't remember for sure what the drive
looked like, but I remember that there was nothing plugged in there...
hence the lack of termination provided by the drive ;-)

	For now I'm fine though.... the drive supplies the termination
power... it just recieves the termination from the empty external APS case
with DATerm ;-) I don't even have to plug the drive in.. just needs to be
connected to the SCSI bus. I might get a SCSI terminator, since I need one
anyhow, and slap it on the SCSI port and not worry about it til I can find
a resistor/jumper/whatever to make the drive terminated.

	A question though... if the internal drive is terminated.... would
that block me from being able to add other drives onto the chain later?
Like if I fix the APS case and throw a 170 MB drive into it that I have
lying around? THnaks!

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!