Subject: Re: MacIIx and adb?
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/1997 17:47:50
wb2oyc wrote:

> Anybody help shed any lite on this??
>
> I have previously successfully run NetBSD on this MacIIx, but now it
> hangs at this point early in the boot process:
>
> adb: bus subsystem
>
> ......forever!
>
> I've tried my original 1.2 installation, and also have tried the 1.2.1
> that I've recently installed on an external SCSI for my IIci's.  Both
> fail exactly the same way, at exactly that point in the boot.  Nothing
> else, the machine is dead, and must be shut down totally to get it to
> come back to life.  Have tried different keyboard, mouse, etc, with no
> change.....All is fine under MacOS 7.1.

Well, this obviously shouldn't be happening...but I suppose that's not
much help, is it? ;-)

Hmmm...what kind of ADB devices do you have attached to the machine?  This
machine happens to require that a mouse be attached under -current
kernels.  What kernel are you trying to boot?  Are you moving the mouse or
typing on the keyboard during the boot sequence?  If so, _don't_!!  I've
seen this hang a machine before.

Are you booting with any extensions on other than MODE32?  If so, turn
them off (although I can't imagine why that'd be causing problems in most
cases).

Can you get to the debugger at this point by hitting the programmer's
switch?  Just wondering, since you probably won't be able to actually type
anything at this point, but...

Later.