Subject: Re: Color X server for 1.3ALPHA?
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
From: Civ Kevin F. Havener <havenerk@thunder.safb.af.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/1997 15:31:46
In the XFree86 world (not sure how that maps to NetBSD) in about July or
August of this year they moved from version 3.2 to 3.3.  The 3.2 version
used compressed (*.Z) fonts.  3.3 used gzipped (*.gz) fonts.  My commercial
X-server for Linux required that I go into each of my font directories,
ungzip them, and then compress them.  Seems I had to do a mkfontdir in
there somewhere.  For awhile I even left them unzipped...later went back
and ran compress on them.  Worked fine either way.  Look in those
directories below and see whether the suffix is *.Z or *.gz.  That should
tell you what generation of X-server installed the fonts anyway.

                                 kevin