Subject: Re: Color X server for 1.3ALPHA?
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/1997 13:55:34
Hey, screen is pretty neat!  I didn't have it, so I grabbed it off the
GNU distribution set that came with the "Red Book".  It compiled right
out of the box.

Anyway, when I do startx this is what screen gives me back:

hussar# startx

Screen 0 at 0xfd000020, 640 by 480, 8 bpp, rowB 1024, fbbase 0xfd000020.
failed to set default font path
'/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6
/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fo
nts/100dpi/'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
hussar#

Where can I set the default font path?  Is that in a settings file, or is
that something that should have been compiled in?

Sean

>On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 00:44:07 -0500,
>"T. Sean (Theo) Schulze" <71410.25@compuserve.com> wrote:

>> >No, I don't think so.  Are your grf devices properly configured?
>> >Is color grf lkm loaded?
>> >

>> In /dev I have grf0 through grf3.  I added grf2 and grf3 after reading
>> the part in the FAQ that mentions servers that try to open grf2.  I still
>> get the error message and X dies.  The color lkm that Taras put out would
>> not compile on my system.  gcc complains that it can't find a whole slew
>> of includes.  I couldn't find them either using find, and then I
>> discovered that they are included in the kernel src.  The kernel source
>> was not included in the 1.3_alpha stuff I just installed (/sys is a link
>> to /usr/src/sys, and /usr/src/sys is empty).  Someone here on the list
>> compiled a new video_lkm_combined.o using -current sources and put it at
>> ftp://rosadelsaron.res.cmu.edu/pub/color/.  I am using that as my lkm.
>> Maybe something with that is broken.
>
>Why it doesn't work, I can't say for sure.  Too little information.
>Is there any other error message?  You can log the error messages by,
>for example, running GNU screen on console, turn on logging, and
>startx within the screen session.
>
>Ken

            T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
TSSchulze@aol.com          71410.25 @compuserve.com
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.