Subject: Re: (OFF-TOPIC) hardware SCSI termination?
To: None <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/1997 12:05:56
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:55:39 -0500 (EST),
Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 02:05:18 -0800 (PST),
> > SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com> wrote:
> > > to terminate itself, but what sort of place would I be able to get a
> > > terminator jumper that would be able to terminate my drive? Preferably
> > > something cheap ;-)
> >
> > If you want something really cheap, you can wrap up the jumper posts
> > with thin copper wires.  Try not to short circuit nearby circuits.
> >
> > Real jumpers (those square plastic things with a pressed metal sheet
> > embedded), I have no idea where to get, but I would imagine mail-order
> > electronics places like JDR might carry them.
>
> Its a terminating *resistor*, not a jumper, that he needs.  They have
> about 8-10 prongs, and go in one way (typically indicated by a white dot
> on one end of one side which lines up with an arrow on the hard drive PCB
> board).

Ah, a resistor network block.

I don't know anything about his drive, but most drives sold these days
have either a jumper or a DIP switch to configure the drive
termination.  The thing typically packaged in a 18-pin, 300mil wide
ceramic DIP is becoming a thing of the past.

Ken