Subject: Re: System Suggestions.
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/1997 09:11:38
Hi,

My vote also goes to the IIcx.  You are getting more RAM, and more HD
space.  Plus, with the IIcx, you are getting an FPU.  The IIsi probably
doesn't have an FPU.  BTW, all 030 Macs have a PMMU.  The only NetBSD
capable mac that requires you to buy a PMMU is the Mac II.

As mentioned by others, 80MB for a HD is going to be tight, so you can
probably forget about X.  But that's what dt is for.

Mark

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Austin Brower wrote:
>=20
> > Hello all,
> >      After experimenting with NetBSD/Mac68k 1.2.1 on my high school=B9s=
 Mac IIsi, I have decided to buy my own Mac to use NetBSD on.  Since I am b=
asically a poor teenager, I looked into buying an older II series Mac.  I c=
ame up with two choices:
> > Mac IIcx - 8mb RAM 80mb HD and 8-bit video w/mouse for $99
> > Mac IIsi - 5mb RAM 40mb HD w/mouse for $99
> > (These are both from Small Dog Electronics)
> >=20
> >      My problem is this: what system would be the best for NetBSD?  The
> > IIcx is slower, processor-wise, than the IIsi, but the IIsi only has 5m=
> > RAM and a small HD.  Which would be the most bang for the buck?=20
> >=20
> =09The 40MB disk is probably going to be too small to run anything
> =09usable (80MB will be tight).
>=20
> =098MB/16Mhz should definitely be better than 5MB/20MHz, until you
> =09upgraded the memory the extra MHz won't really help much...
>=20
> =09Plus the IIcx should have three nubus slots (in case of ethernet
> =09cards etc), against the si which has only a PDS slot - if the IIsi
> =09has the PDS to nubus adapter that would definitely help...
>=20
> =09You'll need a PMMU, plus an FPU would be helpful... Check before
> =09you buy, NetBSD will not run without an PMMU, plus X11 will be
> =09much slower without an FPU.
> =09
> =09Between those two _I'd_ definitely go for the IIcx, even though
> =09the IIsi is cuter :)
>=20
> =09Note: I don't run NetBSD on my macs yet (just on sparc/i386), but
> =09I used to run it on sun3 (also m68k) kit, and particularly if you
> =09plan on compiling or running X, you are going to _really_ notice
> =09that extra 3MB (plus want more of course :)
>=20
> =09=09David/abs
>=20
>    _.oXo._   Too complex to explain, too simplistic to admit.   _.oXo._
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/