Subject: Re: Stupid question
To: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/1997 19:18:43
Rodney M. Hopkins wrote:

> OK, I'm a big dummy.
>
> I'm was in mail reading messages.  Forgot I was in mail, typed, "ps -axl"
> which mail translated as 'ignore the p and save the current message in a
> file named -axl.'

Nah, it happens from time to time.

> Well, to make a long story short, I now have this file named, "-axl" in my
> home directory.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to delete it.
> "rm -axl" gives me an "rm: illegal option --a" error.  I'd like to be able
> to get rid of this file without trashing the entire directory that it's in.
>
> I'm not running X or dt, so I can't drag the file away...
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Try reading the rm(1) man page :-)

If you simple want to remove it, try:

rm -- -axl

the -- tells rm that all the following arguments are file names, not
options.  I think that there are similar facilities in other programs in
case you wanted to do something other than remove the file.

Later.