Subject: Re: X11 on a Quadra 700, anyone?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/1997 23:08:42
At 23:03 Uhr +0100 15.11.1997, Colin Wood wrote:
>Hauke Fath wrote:

>> On my machine (onboard video, 2MB VRAM, a dumped DEC VRT19-HA monitor) the
>> X server (1.2G) spits out (grf0 is configured)
>>
>> 	Screen 0 at 0x41f0000, 1152 by 870, rowB 576, fbbase 0.
>>
>> and fills a strip of roughly 1/6 the screen width with the standard X
>> desktop pattern. No mouse cursor.
>
>Have you tried other (i.e. smaller) resolutions?  You are booting in B&W
>mode, right?  How old is the kernel that you're currently using?  I know
>there have been some changes during the 1.2G timeframe, but I haven't
>actually tried X on my internal video.

Unfortunately, the VT19 is a dual-mode monitor -- 1280x1024 or 1152x870.
Yes, I booted in b&w -- the 1.11.1beta booters switch resolution
automagically, and the X server refuses to come up in 8Bit depth.

-- Further tests with 640x480 and 824x624 have yielded... interesting results:

In 640x480 X comes up fine (although it's debatable whether this leaves
enough room onscreen to do serious work; this is not MacOS).

In 824x624 the X screen is   "entirely off-screen", i.e. I can see console
output roll by, no crash but no X in sight, either.

1152x870 gives a small strip on the left side of the screen (about 25 chars
wide) where I can see windows and the mouse.

So my conclusion is that the kernel's idea of the VRAM area that is
actually displayed is a wild ass guess at best. It appears to work for
640x480 but fails miserably for any other resolution.

The kernel is 1.3alpha from a 2 Nov snapshot.

Btw.: Does the 1.2G X server need 1.2G/X11R6.3 libs and binaries, or does
it run with older X11R6 libs, too? I'm on a 14k4 ppp link from home and am
somewhat hesitant to start a 10 MB download when it isn't absolutely
necessary.

One more observation: xdm doesn't even pretend to look at the local X
server. I had that setup (including xdm) up and running long ago on an
SE/30 with Micron XCEED card, but have been running X on a MacOS X server
(MacX) for so long, and my memory is dim...

Comments? Michael, Scott, Allen?  ;)

	hauke