Subject: Re: System Suggestions.
To: Austin Brower <browerab@psouth.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/1997 14:27:20
IMHO, you'll be better off with the IIcx and 8MB RAM.  5MB is not enough
to do much more than boot.  Don't forget that the IIcx has dirty ROMs, so
you'll need to use Mode-32.

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Austin Brower wrote:

> Hello all,
>      After experimenting with NetBSD/Mac68k 1.2.1 on my high school=B9s M=
ac IIsi, I have decided to buy my own Mac to use NetBSD on.  Since I am bas=
ically a poor teenager, I looked into buying an older II series Mac.  I cam=
e up with two choices:
> Mac IIcx - 8mb RAM 80mb HD and 8-bit video w/mouse for $99
> Mac IIsi - 5mb RAM 40mb HD w/mouse for $99
> (These are both from Small Dog Electronics)
>=20
>      My problem is this: what system would be the best for NetBSD?  The I=
Icx is slower, processor-wise, than the IIsi, but the IIsi only has 5mb RAM=
 and a small HD.  Which would be the most bang for the buck?