Subject: Re: SIMM location
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/1997 14:19:41
On Nov 15, 12:34pm, "Colin Wood" wrote:
>I've successfully mixed 80ns with 70ns in the same bank.  I believe it's
>fine as long as you make sure that they are all fast enough.  It's a bit
>of a waste, tho, since you won't see that 10ns speedup if you do mix them.

It's always a waste, in a Mac at least, to put in faster memory than the
CPU requires.  Even whole banks of fast memory won't make the CPU access
it any faster or run any faster.  I've heard it can be a problem if the
memory is too fast, and the read timing is marginal -- the data can go away
before it gets latched.  This is probably rare though.  But it shouldn't
otherwise hurt to mix speeds.

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

The UNIX Guru's View of Sex: # unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ;
                                fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

A formal parsing algorithm should not always be used.
		-- D. Gries