Subject: Re: dt problem
To: Balazs Barany <bb@lb-data.co.at>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/1997 12:39:58
Balazs Barany wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the newest dt and have a problem with it: it doesn't start.
>
> (BTW, there was a problem with the MAKEFILE but could solve it:
> There is a line:	@groksevid
> which tries to run a script called groksevid in the current directory =
> but make died because I don't have . on the path. With @./groksevid it =
> did work, perhaps the author could correct the original source. I'm not =
> a C guru, so this could be just silly, too.)

Hmmm...sounds like a legitimate mistake to me.  You could try contacting
the maintainer directly, but I don't think he's worked on dt in a long
time.

> When I start dt, it clears the screen and writes "no graphic mode found" =

When you boot, are there any lines like:

grf0 at intvid0  ??

It might be that something isn't getting configured correctly.  You are
booting in 1-bit (i.e. black and white) mode, right?

> (or so, I have no internet acces near the mac).
> In the README there is:
> >You need a fairly recent netbsd kernel to run this and you need
> >to setup the following as root or in single-user mode if the files
> >'adb', 'grf0' and 'grf1' don't exist in /dev:
> >
> >  # cd /dev
> >  # MAKEDEV adb
> >  # MAKEDEV grf0
> >  # MAKEDEV grf1
> >
> >Note that the installer should have set this up for you.
>
> I have a recent kernel (downloaded 10 days ago) and the devices seem to =
> exist in /dev (ls says so).

Sounds good to me.

> I have a IIsi with internal video, 13 " screen, 17 MB of RAM.

That should work just fine...you don't have any extra video cards without
monitors attached, do you?

> Is there a possibility to configure the filename completion of the shell =
> to happen on TAB instead of ESC like in Linux? ESC is located a little =
> bit weird on my keyboard

That's just a function of the shell.  I'm not sure if csh can change this
or not, but TAB complete is the default for tcsh.  Download a copy of it
and try it out.  I also has extensive history features and command-line
editing.

I hope this helps some.

Later.