Subject: Re: IDE driver development?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/1997 19:41:06
At 1:43 Uhr +0100 14.11.1997, Colin Wood wrote:
>Ken Nakata wrote:

>> No, what I meant by "industry standard" parts were the drives.  Since
>> there's virtually no room for creativity in the host side of interface
>> as far as the vanilla IDE is concerned, I thought it's got to be
>> something on the drive itself if Apple had decided to deviate from the
>> ANSI standard.

A few days ago I got definite confirmation from <news:de.comp.sys.mac> that
the P630 runs fine with just about any current IDE drive model you care to
throw into it. So I do not really think Apple got a "special" IDE drive.

On the other hand, IDE is a classical example of the word "The nice thing
about standards is that there are so many to choose from". I am not even
sure I'd know what a "non-standard" IDE drive would look like, much less a
"standard" one.

>According to the developer notes for the LC/Quadra 630, Apple's IDE
>interface follows a "subset" of the ANSI standard, whatever that means.

A good thing, too. They dropped an endless source of pain, the master-slave
mode.

We might get more of that -- I've heard they start to ship middle class
models (Gossamer) with IDE; but what is safe when even Sun starts to look
at IDE...

	hauke