Subject: Re: eeeeek!
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/1997 10:12:13

> 	Like before, NetBSD dies when I try bootstrapping NetBSD on this
> IIsi. I just tried booting it from a GENERIC-47 kernel using the 1.11.0
> booter or whatever the newest one is. It got as far as setting the video
> address... no internal video, I'm using a Precisioncolor8 NuBus video card
> which has worked with NetBSD on a Mac IIci I used to run NetBSD 1.2 off
> of.
>
> 	Here's where it gets weird: It says it can't run with the current
> memory mappings, and that I should turn 32 bit addressing on in the memory
> control panel. I'm running system 7.6.1.... which IS 32 bit I have been
> told... Now, I just reinstalled all those SIMMs... 4-4MB 70ns SIMMs, plus
> 1 soldered onto the motherboard for a total of 17. Shouldn't this work?
> Has anyone else had a problem with this?

We only support the IIsi when it has internal video. That's not to say
you can't use external video, but the internal video needs to be
active. A paperclip over the monitor sense pins will work just fine.

MacOS re-aranges the memory map when there's no internal video monitor,
and we don't deal with that map.

Take care,

Bill