Subject: Re: _X11TransSocketUnixConnect - Solved
To: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/1997 00:06:57
#hea wrote:

> > when I type ./startx, I get the following response:
> >

> > _X11TransSocketUnixConnect: can't connect: errno = 61
> > giving up.
> > xinit: connection refused (errno 61):  unable to connect to X server
> > xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
> >

> > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> >

> > Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Another possible solution below...

> #BW wrote:
> >
> >I have the exact same problem, except I get the errors when trying
> >./xinit. ./startx just tells me 'xinit: not found'. Mail me if you come
> >up with something.

You need to add /usr/X11R6/bin to your path.  Edit your .cshrc file to add
that path to the line that says something like:

set path=(.... .....  /usr/X11R6/bin)

> I found my problem.  I had an extra video card plugged in with no cable
> connected.  I removed the card and X works fine.

Hmmm...perhaps the server died b/c it couldn't open a grf device for it?
How many grf devices show up in a 'dmesg'?  If you have more than 1, make
sure that you have more than 2 /dev/grf devices.

> To BW:  I created a link:   ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/startx startx

Once again, the correct fix is to put /usr/X11R6/bin in your path.  This
one is in the FAQ, btw.  You might want to take a look at it:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/

(among other places :-)

I hope this helps some.

Later.