Subject: Re: SIMM location
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 22:56:54
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> In quadruplets. You need to populate each bank of 4 with the same
> size chip.

Same size _and_ speed - don't mix 70ns chips with slower ones.

> On the IIci, bank A, I think, is the internal video.

Yep.

> Keep it the smaller of the two so the system clashes with the
> video controller less (as the video controller wins for flicker-free
> video).

Only put the smaller size SIMMs in bank A if you are actually _using_ the
internal video.  Otherwise, (ie, you're using a nubus video card) put the
_larger_ SIMMs in bank A.

> The IIsi only has one open bank of ram (of four slots). There's one
> meg soldered onto the MB.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |