Subject: Re: SIMM location
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 22:25:18
> 	I decided to commandeer the IIsi my mom still has from work that
> she hasn't taken back yet and try to get it running under NetBSD. I
> remember the last time I tried it, that it had a memory mapping problem.
> Later, I swapped some SIMMs out of it... and I remember it had some odd
> combination of SIMMs. I also remember reading somewhere that if you're
> using SIMMs of different types (amount of RAM) that they need to be
> installed in certain sockets so that the video board can take full
> advantage of the memory. I ALSO noticed that I can't get internal video to
> work on it... so I'm thinking I will swap the SIMMs into some
> configuration that might work better. Does anyone know how memory should
> be installed on a IIsi/IIci? Thanks!

In quadruplets. You need to populate each bank of 4 with the same
size chip. On the IIci, bank A, I think, is the internal video.
Keep it the smaller of the two so the system clashes with the
video controller less (as the video controller wins for flicker-free
video).

The IIsi only has one open bank of ram (of four slots). There's one
meg soldered onto the MB.

Take care,

Bill