Subject: Re: /dev/rom?
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 21:25:55
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Michael R Zucca wrote:

> > > How hard would it be to create a MacBSD version of the startup disk control
> > > panel?
> >
> > Probably not all that hard.  I think that there is simply a PRAM variable
> > which determines which SCSI ID to look at for the system.  I just wish
> > that MacOS had partition level granularity.  I run System 7.5.5 and System
> > 7.1 on my IIci, but I have to have 7.1 on a separate drive in order to
> > recognize and use it as a startup disk.  Ah welll.....
>
> Well, you can get finer grain. APS power tools lets you specify which
> partition you want to be bootable. My guess is that it reorders the
> partition map with the partition you want to boot off of as the
> first partition. That's just a guess.

I think you're missing his point. Yes, you can "flag" partitions as
"automount" and "bootable" with partitioning/formatting software. His
point was that Startup Disk CDeV however doesn't know partitions. It will
only let you choose the disk, which will then boot from the first
partition with a blessed system folder. He'd like to choose upon shutdown
or reboot, which partition to boot from. Without unblessing 1 system
folder, he can't do that with both systems being on the same SCSI drive
(even if on separate partitions).

Mike