Subject: Re: color video lkm problems...
To: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 18:16:44
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> <chip description snipped>
>
> does anyone know why this card gets so far in the lkm loading process and
> fails?  If someone needs this card to write a driver for it, i might be
> able to arange some kind of borrowing thing...

Thanks to Dan McMahill who loaned me an Ethernet board, I've now got the
SLOTMAN kernel up and running.  This will take _almost any_ video card
that works under MacOS and make it useful under NetBSD, even if you don't
have the "Dismiss Interrupt" stuff (which Allen Briggs has been collecting
and integrating) figured out.

Also, Michael Zucca has been working diligently at coming up with a
customizable video driver (currently only for internal video, but nubus
video is coming soon, I think).  If you can hack away with MacsBug to find
out the magic sequences to tickle the card, you can plug them into an
otherwise complete framework and have it magically work.

I'll be posting the URL for the new SLOTMAN kernel later tonight, or first
thing in the morning, just as soon as the ``make clean && make'' is done.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |