Subject: Re: /dev/rom?
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 21:02:35
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Michael R Zucca wrote:

> > I doubt that will work any time soon. If we didn't need MacOS to boot,
> > we could install different boot blocks on a drive and boot w/o
> > MacOS NOW.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't bother with the boot blocks. It would be
> better/easier to make a partition with the booter written as
> a "fake" system file. That way to switch to NetBSD from MacOS

Perhaps you meant a fake finder file? I don't think that you can really
fake a system file, but you could easily (in 3 minutes) make the booter
into the first thing run a la Norton's Emergency Disk...it'd be loaded
before the "startup items" in place of the finder. You could set it up to
boot in 1 second & it'd be quite zippy with system 7.1 or so.

Mike