Subject: Re: /dev/rom?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 17:23:36
At 1:51 PM 11/14/97, Colin Wood wrote:
I'll have to try it sometime.  I'm keeping a basic MacOS capability around,
though I have backgraded to 7.5.  (Yes, thanks to everyone for the comments
about 7.1 with enabler 88, but JPL's archive doesn't have it and I don't
want to spend the time to reassemble a minimum 7.1 for the 840av.)

>> How hard would it be to create a MacBSD version of the startup disk control
>> panel?
>
>Probably not all that hard.  I think that there is simply a PRAM variable
>which determines which SCSI ID to look at for the system.  I just wish
>that MacOS had partition level granularity.  I run System 7.5.5 and System
>7.1 on my IIci, but I have to have 7.1 on a separate drive in order to
>recognize and use it as a startup disk.  Ah welll.....

Since MacOS nowadays *does* have partition granularity I don't think it is
that simple.  Perhaps it was that simple on the older Mac II's though.