Subject: Re: problems with telnet access
To: DJ Lo-Ki <lo-ki@pinsky.com>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 19:53:11
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, DJ Lo-Ki wrote:

> (oh and I'm really bummed out about no support for the IIfx because I'm
> about to get my hands on one and have heard that it was one hell of a mac
> in it's day... 128 megs of ram max! that would be great as a bsdbox.)

The SE/30 can take 128 megs of RAM as well. :)

The IIfx was vastly underutilized in the MacOS - only AU/X took advantage
of its IOPs and DMA.  There was a version of AppleShare which was designed
to run under AU/X in the IIfx and take advantage of the hardware.  (Not
that a 40Mhz 030 was bad in those days, but in MacOS you weren't getting
much beyond that 40Mhz 030, nonstandard RAM, nonstandard internal SCSI
that required a special terminator, and a lot of slots :)

(The thickest issue of MacWorld magainze of all time was the one that
introduced the IIfx.  :)

--
Nathan Raymond
nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu