Subject: Re: problems with telnet access
To: DJ Lo-Ki <lo-ki@pinsky.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 15:58:49
> Well, I want to thank everyone who gave me advice before... I've gotten
> my IIci up and running fully (X windows too as of today) but I have a
> funny problem maybe someone has seen before...

Yea!

> I have to shut down my machine every night (don't ask why... it's
> complicated politics at my job) and every day at first startup I am
> unable to telnet or ftp in from my mac (or any other computer.) I have a
> workaround which is quite strange... once I've re-booted into single user
> mode and typed reboot, everything works great... until I shut it down
> again or reboot)
>
> the only difference I can tell between the initial boot and the re-boot
> from single user mode is that the message about the ethernet card says a
> bunch of code during initial boot but lists a string of zeros after
> rebooting from single user mode...

Show us the relevant lines from the boot messages.

If you have a standard setup, you have the kernfs mounted at /kern,
and can just look at /kern/msgbuf to see the messages. Note: usually
the first half of the file is all ^@'s (garbage). Just keep scrolling.

Also, can you ftp out of the box after first boot?

Take care,

Bill