Subject: Re: Problems with hwdirect ADB on 660av
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 13:47:20
Dave Huang wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Dave Huang wrote:
> > Every once in a while, I compile a kernel without MRG_ADB to see how well
> > the direct ADB stuff is working... Unfortunately, it's still not working
> > very well on my 660av :( It's not completely broken, but it's very
> > fragile... I can type on the console, as long as I don't bang on the
>
> Oops, I thought the latest direct ADB stuff (with the Cuda bugfixes) had
> been pulled into the 1.3 branch, but I was a day early :) I've recompiled
> my kernel again, and the direct ADB is working great now! :) Great job! :)

Dave,
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was on vacation until today. As you
discovered, the latest Cuda fixes didn't get put into the Cuda tree
until just recently.

I am glad to hear that ADB is working for you now.

Incidently, the fixes that solve the problems with the Cuda aren't
really the ideal solution. I wasn't able to find the exact state machine
issue that was causing the problem and so instead the code periodically
check to see if the condition has occured and corrects for it, at the
cost of a little extra overhead for the system. But as my time to
resolve the problem was limited, I thought this was a better solution
than the current hangs.

> On an ADB-related, but non-hwdirect-related note, yesterday, I stopped by
> the (relatively) new Fry's Electronics in Arlington, TX... wow, that place
> is like the hugest electronics store I've seen :) Although it didn't seem
> as cool as the ones I've heard about in California... no weird old
> electronics junk, and I didn't see any Jolt Cola either :)

Fry's doesn't really send old electronics junk (unless you include their
"new" OEM SIMMs that seem to have a 70% failure rate!) They are mainly
new stuff. Maybe you are thinking of Wierd Stuff Warehouse? BTE, what is
the "theme" of the TX store? (i.e. does the decor look like an
electronics circuit, and Aztec temple, an Eqyption temple, or the old
West?)

> What's this standard keyboard at 2 stuff about? I only have one keyboard
> hooked up, an extended keyboard II. The same devices show up with a
> MRG_ADB kernel.

I think someone answered this, but the A3 mouse pretends to be a
keyboard as well as a mouse to emulate the other butons (2 and 3). Some
other mice can do this as well.

	--John