Subject: Re: kde
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 10:15:39
> On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:22:44 -0800,
> Erik STOKHOF <e.stokhof@eurogentec.be> wrote:
> > Secondly, a while later, c++ died after reporting that the virtual
> > memory was saturated. Is there any way I can change this? is it supposed
> > to happen? this is an LC III with 36 MB RAM, 64 MB swap. Does the c++
> > compiler saturate 100 MB of memory? not likely.
>
> Did you check "ulimit" (sh/bash/etc) or "limit" (csh/tcsh) command?
> I think that's what it is.

What Ken's talking about is that each process is (usually) limited in
how much space it can use, so that no one process gets too greedy,
or if something goes wrong with a process, it doesn't impact the
other system users much.

You want to disable those limits as you expect your compilation will
need more space than the standard limits permit.

I think those instructions are right.

Take care,

Bill