Subject: Re: /dev/rom?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1997 00:54:55
> If you really want a unix computer that can't run MacOS, just go out
> and buy an i386 box! I mean that we paid extra for a computer which
> runs MacOS, and it seems a shame to throw that away.

Well, I already own a IIvx. Why blow more money :-)

As far as MacOS goes, I can't even run MacOS 8 on my IIvx. I'm just
getting a little bit more use out of an old faithful box. I plan
to retire it as a line printer server when I get around to writing
a driver for my NB-PRL card.

> But check out Inside Macintosh about disk setups. You can load boot
> drivers off of hard disks well before MacOS has started up (that's
> how MacOS actually boots)! So just change it.

Not entirely. The ROMS will execute code in hte boot-blocks if
a flag is set but usually it isn't and the ROMS load the system.

> What don't people like about the MacOS boot? You can make a minimal
> system w/o extentions and put the booter int he Startup Items folder.
> Then NetBSD will come up automatically.

My IIvx does this and frankly, it takes too long. I'd like to just
boot straight into NetBSD without waiting the 5 minutes MacOS
takes to load just to kick it out. :-)