Subject: Re: IDE driver development?
To: None <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/13/1997 16:35:47
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 20:28:50 +0100,
Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE> wrote:

> Well, the main reason why IDE exists at all is that you get along with a
> parallel interface (something like two 74HC245s) and a few control lines on

Hm, I like 645's better ;-)

> the host side. No need for "industry standard" parts here.

No, what I meant by "industry standard" parts were the drives.  Since
there's virtually no room for creativity in the host side of interface
as far as the vanilla IDE is concerned, I thought it's got to be
something on the drive itself if Apple had decided to deviate from the
ANSI standard.

> Where the ports are mapped and how they interrupt is more a question of
> system integration than of the actual IDE "hardware".

That's exactly my point.

Ken