Subject: Re: /dev/rom?
To: rahim <rahim@auzeria.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/13/1997 12:33:53

> On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Mark DeArman wrote:
>
> > If you acctuly get it to work, say get a mac too be strait to NetBSD
> > With NOOO MacOS will some one tell me?  Please?
> >

> I don't think you boot NetBSD without mac OS unless One did replace the
> two mac PROMs with some kind of revised EPROMS.

If you really want a unix computer that can't run MacOS, just go out
and buy an i386 box! I mean that we paid extra for a computer which
runs MacOS, and it seems a shame to throw that away.

Also, de-soldering chips on the motherboard sounds quite dangerous. Most
macs since the IIci (certainly my IIsi) have a ROM SIMM slot. If there's
a SIMM in that slot, then the internal ROMs are disabled. Since most
NetBSD-capable macs have 32-bit data busses, you'll need 4 EPROMs.

But check out Inside Macintosh about disk setups. You can load boot
drivers off of hard disks well before MacOS has started up (that's
how MacOS actually boots)! So just change it.

What don't people like about the MacOS boot? You can make a minimal
system w/o extentions and put the booter int he Startup Items folder.
Then NetBSD will come up automatically.

Take care,

Bill