Subject: Re: /dev/rom?
To: rahim <rahim@auzeria.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/1997 21:44:58
On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, rahim wrote:
> I think it would be nice to have access to /dev/rom too.  It is a pain
> trying to read them with a eprom reader.  while on the subject does anyone
> know if apple PROM is pin compatible with a EPROM?  Wouldn't be nice if
> your apple was able to boot like a SUN or NEXT?

Why would you need an eprom reader? The CPU in your Mac can read its ROM
just fine :) If you have MacsBug, try "dp @rombase 100" Or in NetBSD, as
others have mentioned, just mmap() /dev/mem.

I think the ROMs in all of the Macs use standard pinouts; the ones in DIP
packages should be pin compatible with an EPROM. I've never seen a NeXT
boot, but a Sun boot is pretty boring... kinda like the NetBSD boot,
actually ;) I prefer the standard Mac boot with the nice happy Mac :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++