Subject: Re: New X distribution
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/1997 00:55:15
> While at the fundamental level I really like this idea of "letting
> user-land have more control", I'd really hate to see an XF86Config-ish
> initial set-up process...  It's a night mare for non-display-gurus to
> set up the right display signal timings, and definitely not the way to
> go, IMHO.  Having said that, I can't think of an alternative way for
> letting user have more control over the resolution and color depth.

Well, I've seen how XF86-Config works these days and it's not like the
old days where you had to calculate the dot-clocks by hand. Now you
get this cool app that comes up in X and you resize and move the
picture around the screen. *That* was very nice and folks that don't
have monitors that can store multiple screen tweakings will
appreciate it even more.

I figure, use the basic settings for basic X but allow folks to have
custom settings if they want.

All of this is somewhat in the future since resolution is really
part of the "second phase" of intvidtest. Right now I'm just trying
to get the darned thing to switch bit depths on some machines :-)