Subject: Re: color video lkm problems...
To: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1997 17:11:17
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> Hi,
> I attempted to run color X on a Apple Nubus video card (2MB VRAM, fixed
> resolution - 640x480, does 2,4,16,256 and millions of colors - no
> thousands). I grabbed the lkm src from Taras' ftp directory on
> ctpa03.mit.edu, patched it with a patch Colin Wood sent me, and compiled.
> no problem there. i put my compiled module in /lkm, made the lkm device in
> /dev, and added this line to /etc/lkm.conf:
>
> some hardware specs: Mac IIvx (running -current-11-1-97 + GENERIC#47 +
> booter <whatever>b5), 20MB ram, lots of disk space, internal video @1-bit,
> 640x480, plus the nubus card, which i gave specs of earlier. i also have a
> asante nubus ethernet card which works great, dunno if it matters. my
> booting console was the internal video on the IIvx, which was B+W, could
> this have caused that problem? i'll reboot and switch the booting console
> provided you don't want me to type anything else at the debugger prompt.
>
> oh yeah, i have two monitors on my IIvx, if you didn't figure that out
> already :-)
>
> anyone know what went wrong?

Ah! you didn't tell me you were still using internal video! This might
very well be the problem.  _Remove_ the monitor on internal video and make
the external one your booting console.  If this works, you can try
reattaching the monitor on internal video, but you'll probably have to
retain the external monitor as the booting console.

I hope this helps some.

Later.